Thursday, July 8, 2010

Another rainy day in paradise

It has pretty much been raining for 2 days straight.

Yesterday, I took the kids to the neighboring village of El Torito where CREAR was putting on a day camp this week.  The kids did crafts and stuff.  One of the volunteers was a mom from Florida, and she is here with her 2 sons about G & D's ages.  She is putting on a computer class for the local kids (through CREAR), and invited us to join them that afternoon.

Today we met with them again.  The kids swam at the beach in the rain, then swam in the pool in the rain, then had lunch and ice cream at Coco's in a torrential downpour.



At Coco's we were spotted by a friend of a friend from Pleasanton.  We had e-mailed one another once we found out each other was here, and had planned to get together but hadn't yet.  Keira recognized us from this here blog and came up to say hi.  We got to talking and found out her host brother was in Dane's class in school, and was in the computer class with the kids the day before (there were only 2 ticos in the class).  This town is so stinkin small!

I finished off the day with getting asked out on a date.  I had gotten the kids settled to watch a show before bed and ran to the store with my giant umbrella (just 2 doors down) to pick up a few groceries for the morning.  One of the tico surfers I have seen around town stopped me and started talking in a spanish.  When I asked him "que?" he reverted to broken english and started describing some pasta dish with a red cream sauce.  I had no idea where this was going until he said he would like to make it for me, and would I join him for dinner.  Ha!  I then had to tell him that I was married, to which he looked surprised.  He apologized, said he hoped he didn't offend, but then asked for a hug.  I politely declined and put my hand out for a handshake.  It was about that time I caught the big whiff of alcohol wafting from him.  Nice.

So the crazy thing is, EVERYBODY in this town has seen me traipsing around with 3 kids.  How is that not a deterrent?  I don't know.  But in hindsight I wish I had accepted the offer....and then shown up with 3 kids!

A free dinner is a free dinner, right?

PS - The kids got invited to a birthday party this coming Saturday.  They are pretty excited. =)

3 comments:

  1. Look whose still got it! Way to go for getting asked out lady! Sometimes that is SUCH a confidence booster! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am WAY behind on your adventures in Costa Rica! You are so brave to do this! I can't wait to read through the archives & hear more about your trip! And, you go girl for getting asked out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you're hot, you're hot, 3 kids or not.

    ReplyDelete